Monday, September 23, 2013

Gas prices


So, now when I fill up my gas tank, I sound like an 85 year old person talking to my kids.

 

“Way back when you were born (12 years ago!) gas was only 99 cents!” 

 

My kids gasp, “Really Mom?  Tell us more!”  And, I do.  I point lots of things out that used to cost less, a lot less.  And, do you know when they cost less?  Yup, that’s right, about 5 years ago.

 

Are you better off than you were 5 years ago?  Have you noticed that the price of just about everything has gone up between 50 and 100%?  Do you know why?  Of course you do, gas prices.

 

I recently saw a sign saying, “Stop Fracking!”  So, I looked into it.  Fracking is a way to get natural gas out of the ground.  Fracking takes place about 5,000 feet below ground.  When fracking, several concrete barriers are built between the gas pipe and the soil.  The water table is approximately 100 feet below ground.  Fracking has been going on for many years.

 

Now, I want to pay lower gas prices.  But, if I say that, there is no logical debate, people say, “You don’t care about the environment!”

No comments:

Post a Comment