Wednesday, September 17, 2014

I have been common cored, part 2


It really is amazing to me how much of our lives have been directly affected by this disastrous president.  Is nothing sacred?

The short answer is: no.

Not even math.

As promised, here is my experience with common core math.

There was an addition problem that I saw on the Internet.  A high school friend had to explain it to me.  Here is the problem:

 32-12=20

Easy, right?

Not with common core.  To find the solution to this problem, children are encouraged to use "friendly" numbers.

To arrive at 20, using common core, you must utilize the following four "intermediate" equations:

   12+3=15
   15+5=20
20+10=30 and
30+2 = 32

Now, add 3, 5, 10 and 2, which equals 20.

This is a fun way for retired, lonely, slightly bored CPAs to play with numbers in their heads.

This is not a way to teach math to children.  Are we teaching them to be afraid of numbers?  What if the number is "unfriendly?"

I have an 8th grader who is starting high school math, so I guess that she is safe from common core.

My 5th grader is way beyond addition and subtraction, so I thought that she was safe, too.

Wrong, common core can totally mess up multiplication.

Here is the problem:

          75
X.      34
=     300
     225
    2,550

We were shown 5 ways to solve this problem.  I thoroughly enjoyed every single one.  These are fun math games for geeky adults who like fun math games!

But, my 5th grader liked the method presented above - old school.

Ok, no problem.  We basically ignored all of the other methods, until, the test.

This child, who could successfully find the correct answer, was asked this:

Please select all "intermediate" equations used in solving this problem.

What?!?  See why there is so much stress and crying involved in common core?  Of course, we got them wrong.  Actually, I got them wrong.  In case you haven't noticed, common core is less about learning for the children and more about driving parents a little bit crazy.

Want to know what they are?  Here are the 4 "intermediate" equations that all American children are now required to know in order to be successfully tested in America:

       5x4=20
    70x4=280
    30x5=150
30x70=2,100

Get it?

Stay tuned, I am sure that I will have many more adventures in common core to share with you throughout the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment