Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Santa and Jesus

When did Santa Claus and Jesus break up?  Do you know?

My kids and I were driving and listening to the local Christmas radio station.  The station plays Christmas carols ranging from Elvis to Taylor Swift.  They start playing them from the minute the turkey comes out of the oven on Thanksgiving right up until the big day.

We love it!

My daughter said, "Mom, I love these old Christmas carols!  They have Santa AND Jesus in them!"

Sure enough, she was right: "Santa knows we're all God's children, that makes everything right.  So, hang your stockings and say your prayers, 'cause Santa Claus comes tonight." Gene Autry, 1947

I don't remember ever having some tragic conflict about Santa and Jesus.  I always remember knowing that Santa gives gifts to celebrate Jesus' birth.  I have never seen a conflict there.

One of my friends has been lamenting on Facebook about telling her children about Santa and/or Jesus.  Sheesh, tell them about both and quit worrying about it.

We were watching "Miracle on 34th Street," my husband says it is his favorite.  (You think you know a guy).  It is about a little girl who doesn't believe in Santa Claus.  She is sad.  The entire movie is based around that - a child wants desperately to believe in something.  But, she has been taught not to believe.

It is the saddest thing you ever saw.  We are so focused on self in our society that we reject the notion of something bigger than ourselves, like God.  It has made us a very selfish and sad society.

Santa Claus is a loving symbol to teach children to give to others to celebrate the birth of Jesus.  I am ok with that because I believe.

What do you believe in?

I hope that you had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment