I was talking to a friend yesterday who is not a Republican. I guess that she would call herself an independent, not really a liberal.
And, she said, "I have turned" or some other code word to let me know that she is now firmly against Obama and on the side of the GOP.
Now, my friend, I wonder how many other independents feel this way. Don't you?
So, I grabbed a pen and paper and asked her what Republicans need to do to get her vote this November.
Here is what she said:
Everybody knows what is wrong, don't talk about it. Talk about the successes of the GOP! Talk about what conservatives do correctly.
And, she is right. About 70% of people believe that the country is headed in the wrong direction and almost as many want Obamacare repealed. Now, we need to talk about what we are going to do instead.
This was really interesting to me - she said to explain clearly the platform and plan of the Republicans because:
DEMOCRATS DON'T KNOW. They don't know what we stand for and how can they? We are too busy criticizing each other for not being conservative enough, democrats don't even know what a conservative is.
So, my conservative friend, let's sum it up right here and then go tell everyone you know!
We believe in:
1. Limited government, ask your independent friends if they like the government taking over their healthcare.
2. Lower taxes, ask friends if they like paying more and more taxes for fewer and fewer services.
3. Personal responsibility, everyone needs a hand now and then, but ask, do you think that people should get welfare without time limits, without work limits, without drug testing? Most people will say no.
4. We believe in some common sense - France doesn't give people driver's licenses who aren't citizens and neither should we, people should also show an ID to vote. Most people agree with that.
5. A strong military - we believe in walking softly and carrying a big stick, we believe in peace through strength.
6. Religious freedom - we believe that people should be free to practice their religion in any way that they choose, even Christians.
7. Life - we believe in it for the old and the young. If you are young and have survived liberalism, you might change your mind by the time you are older and are looking at having your Medicare taken away.
8. The 2nd Amendment - we believe in the right to bear arms because when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns, it is pretty simple.
9. Securing our borders - no other country in the world allows people to stay illegally and receive benefits. Where did Nancy Pelosi even get that idea? I don't understand it.
10. Energy independence - after all that "war for oil" nonsense in the Bush years, you would think that liberals would be all for energy independence. But, nope, they hate it. We believe that we should get our own oil and natural gas so that our economy is booming. We believe that Russia should come crawling to us, begging us for natural gas, not the other way around.
Be proud of this! Tell everyone and hopefully, in November, we can take part of our country back.