Sunday, June 8, 2014

My doctor actually hates America

You are not going to believe this...

At some point in the last three days, during my drug-filled, infection-crazed stupor, I (allegedly) said, "Welcome to America" to my doctor of Indian ancestry.

He just came in here and, I thought, we were having a pleasant conversation about my follow up care and the Ted Nugent classic, "Cat Scratch Fever" when he suddenly started yelling at me.  I truly have no idea how or why the conversation turned.  (Maybe it was when I called Bob Dylan a hippie.) He said that America isn't the greatest country in the world.

I calmly said, "It is the greatest country in the world.  Stop yelling at me.  And, why are you yelling at me, anyway?"

He said, "I live here because I make a living here.  But, you are naive to think that this country is the best at everything."  He then asked what country is #1 in education, in happiness?  I said that I didn't know.  What country is #1 in those things?

He wouldn't tell me.

Then, he said, "Want to talk about healthcare?"

I said, from my hospital bed, in my scrubs, with the iv beeping in the background, "No."

He said, "What about England?"

I said, "The problems with the NHS are legendary.  Long wait times, terrible patient care..."

He interrupted, "What about Canada and Germany?"

I said, "Are you going to let me answer?  The government run healthcare systems are run as poorly as the VA..."

He kept interrupting, telling me that I was naive, that America isn't great, until the nurse made him come out of the room.

Can you believe this?  This is what we are dealing with.  A doctor who lives and works in America and treats American patients everyday has a deeply held disdain for this country.  This comes from Obama's race and class warfare.  You know that, right?

Why isn't this doctor proud to be an American?  And, why isn't he proud to work in the greatest healthcare system the world has ever known?  How can someone who has achieved so much feel so much spite toward America?  How could one comment from a sick redneck make someone so angry?

Is this going to get worse or is it going to get better?

I guess that is up to us, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment