Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A new liberal low

There used to be a term for it.

NC - no class.

I can just see Fat Albert and the "gang" shuffling along the sidewalk next to the playground.  With their crazy 70s clothes, that one guy who walked goofy and even the kid who had a hat over his face, they were still completely capable of identifying someone who had absolutely no class.

In the spirit of the Cosby kids (and that catchy song at the end, I loved that!) I would like to nominate Melissa Harris-Perry to the NC category.

On her MSNBC show, Harris-Perry showed a photo of the smiling Romney clan.  Maybe it was their Christmas card, I don't know.  I'm not on that list.  Hey, Mitt, call me!

In the photo, Mitt and Ann Romney are surrounded by their clan, all wearing coordinating outfits and huge smiles.  Mitt is holding two small children on his lap.  One is clearly biologically generated from the handsome Romney DNA. The other, who appears to be black, is equally loved, yet clearly produced from another gene pool.

So, ok, some Romney adopted a child.  The Romneys are colorblind and have no qualms about showing it as evidenced by the prominent display of the adopted child on Mitt's knee, instead of hiding the baby discreetly behind a well-groomed ficus.

So back to MSNBC, I am pulling this quote from columnist Howard Kurtz.  (Thank you for showing me how to cut and past, Ashley!)

"As viewers looked at the picture of tiny Kieran Romney, one of the panelists, Pia Glenn, sang: "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same." 
Harris-Perry chimed in that "my goal is that in 2040, the biggest thing of the year will be the marriage between Kieran Romney and North West. Can you imagine Mitt Romney and Kanye West as in-laws?" 
Then came comedian Dean Obeidallah, chortling that the photo "really sums up the diversity of the Republican Party, the RNC. At the convention they find the one black person." 
Ok, it's me again.  If those were conservative commentators, they would be fired.
Period.
Heads would roll and their resumes would be warm and waiting on the printer right by the water cooler and the elevator.
What has happened to us?
Somewhere between, "Now, I'm gonna sing a song for you!" with me dancing in my footy pjs in front of my 3 channel TV set that was also a piece of furniture and today, we have taken a wrong turn.
I didn't notice or care that all of the Cosby gang was black.  I see now that they were tennis-shoe-kicking through an inner city neighborhood, not frolicking on my 5 acre lawn.  But, I didn't care.  There was a good song and a good lesson.
When did it become ok to be so terribly, viciously racist?
When asked to clarify, defend or retract their tasteless, NC statements, apologies were made to the baby.
Snark artist, anyone?
So, while I was watching Fat Albert and not caring that the people on it were black, there were black kids out there being raised to dislike white people?  I don't understand, I don't get it.
I think I am offended.
NC, man, noooo class.


No comments:

Post a Comment