Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Kwanzaa

We are doing this whole blog thing to be educated, right?

Ever wondered about Kwanzaa?  My step dad is black.  He says, "I'm not African-American!  I've never been to Africa!  I'm black!"

So, that is how our family has always kinda viewed the whole "African-American" thing.

I don't call myself British-German-Cherokee American.  All good rednecks are Scots-Irish with a little Cherokee.  Seriously, ask anyone.  I get so red in the summer.  Anyway...

Since our family has never been big in this whole calling-ourselves-another-country-plus-American-thing, I did a little research on Kwanzaa.

The holiday Kwanzaa was invented by an American professor, Maulana Karenga in 1966.  The African word is really "kwanza" and means harvest but he added the extra 'a' for emphasis.

Kwanzaa starts on December 26 and ends on January 1.

Kwanzaa celebrates 7 African principles.  They are:

1. Umoja-unity: success starts with unity, unity of family, community, nation and race

2. Kujichagulia-self determination: to be responsible for ourselves , to create your own destiny

3. Ujima-collective work and responsibility: to build and maintain your community together

4. Ujamaa-collective economics: to build, maintain and support our own stores, establishments  and businesses

5. Nia- purpose: to restore African American people to their traditional greatness.

6. Kuumba-creativity: using creativity to make your communities better than what you inherited

7. Imani-faith: believing in our people, our families, our educators, our leaders and the righteousness of the African American struggle.

So, that is what it is all about. I wish that we just all celebrated being American.

Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment