Thursday, October 24, 2013

A day in the hood

This morning at about 4 am, our dog came into our bedroom and said something like this (I am paraphrasing), "Mama, Daddy, Mama, Daddy, there is a storm, there is a storm, I am fweaking out!  I am fweaking out!  Can I get in bed with you?"

My husband replied, (I am really paraphrasing now) "No!  Get out!"

The dog was inconsolable and eventually had to go in her crate to seek comfort.

Even with my eyes closed, I could see some flashes like lightning.  Whether is was lightning or a circuit breaker blowing, I don't know, but, there were flashes and then the power went out.

I spent the rest of the night listening to the "beep, beep..." of our wifi tower letting us know it had switched to emergency power.  Thank goodness.  We can't keep the house warm, but we do have wifi.

I always tell myself that when there is nothing going on and nothing that I can do about it to just relax and enjoy the downtime.  It is rare, of course and I should treasure that time.  I do, to some extent.

But, I really want to work.  There is an empty space inside of us and work fills it up.  Haven't you ever heard of a workaholic?  Work fills a need, it feels good to complete something.  A job well done is a good thing and it is important to see the products of your labor.

It is why I continue to rant even though my hands are freezing.  It is the reason that the children are playing with headlamps on instead of just going back to bed.

Doing something feels good, it is the right thing to do.

So now I am the old timer saying, "Get a job, hippie!"

But, it is good advise.  So many confused, frustrated, bored teenagers should do just that, get a job.  It will give them something to do.  They will earn money.  They will learn the value of honest labor and the value of the money that they earned.  They will learn how the world works, they will feel the sense of accomplishment from a job well done.

Well, the power has been off for 12 hours now.  That is what they do to us in the hood, make us wait. I have to put my gloves back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment