Tuesday, October 8, 2013

One for the Gipper

Who knew you could get so much info from the Parade magazine in the Sunday newspaper?  Besides the coupons.

Well, I was flipping through, looking for coupons, and saw a picture of Reagan (I love that guy!) and Tip O'Neill.  Him, I never liked much.

"President Reagan and Speaker Tip O'Neill "were true gentlemen, in a way we don't ask leaders to be anymore," Chris Matthews writes in his new book, 'Tip and the Gipper.' "

Is that the same Chris Matthews who says stuff that is totally cray-cray on MSNBC?

Obama and Boehner could take a page from these guys.  Obama more so, of course.

"After the 1981 assassination attempt on Reagan, O'Neill visited him in the hospital.  He knelt at the president's bedside and together they recited the 23rd Psalm.  Then O'Neill kissed Reagan on the forehead."

Hmmm, I can picture Obama maybe reading from the Koran or whacking Boehner in the head with a Bible (?)

"After one of O'Neill's annual St. Patrick Day lunches, where Reagan was always the guest of honor, the president noted, 'Tip is a true pol.  He can really like you personally while politically trying to beat your head in.' "

"At a retirement party for O'Neill in 1986, Reagan said, 'Mr. Speaker, I'm grateful you have permitted me in the past, and I hope in the future, that singular honor - the honor of calling you my friend.' "

I think that we should go back to having grown-ups run the government.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment